Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What's the best way to set up oxygen therapy equipment in an RV?


We recently received the following inquiry from Freda K. Do any of you have suggestions which can help her and others requiring oxygen therapy travel easier and safer in their RVs with their equipment?

Dear RV Travel, 
 
I think as our RVing membership ages, more and more folks need supplemental oxygen to maintain a quality lifestyle. But trying to find good information on how the adventurous manage concentrators and oxygen tanks is very limited, especially for those requiring more O2 than the nice little portable concentrators can provide. Information on how to set up an RV for traveling with O2 is just not out there -- like where and how to secure the equipment, including a large concentrator, oxygen tanks for use while driving, a liquid oxygen tank and spare tanks. I am sure if more people knew how to travel in an RV with their oxygen, theirs lives would improve greatly. 

Thank you,
Freda K.


4 comments:

  1. We secure my O2 tanks either in the closet or under the bed. The large concentrator rides very well in our 5th wheel, doesn't move around at all. If you are concerned it may move you could always secure it with something like bungee cords or between a couple pieces of furniture. O2 tank used, while driving we put in the back seat of the truck with a hose long enough to reach me. I've not used liquid oxygen but I saw how much room it takes up in a car-those are big refill tanks. For me I would probably stick with the portable refill tanks instead of liquid O2 just because of the size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freda I hope this will at least be a resource for you. The link below will give contact with RV experience. Here is short quote from the page:

    "During the past three years I have made frequent RV (Recreation Vehicle) trips, visiting 30 states, while using both compressed and liquid oxygen."

    There are answers out there...don't give up!

    Take care and have fun. We are hitting the road very soon ourselves :)


    http://www.portableoxygen.org/motoringwitho2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I traveled for 5 years with concentrator and liquid ox with few problems. We had a class A and the concentrator fit under the corner cabinet in the bedroom (we used a bunge for security). We ran the genset while on the road (be sure to shut off when getting gas). The liquid ox container fit in the space behind the passenger seat and I kept 2-3 bottles full for trips in the toad. His hose from the concentrator was long enough he could move around the immediate campsite with no problem. Our only real problem was getting the liquid ox tank filled as we usually had to load it in the toad, go to the office to fill and reload into RV (they are heavy) but with a dolly I stored under/behind tank it was doable. We carried a few tanks for emergencies and stored under the bed or in the toad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we first started our travels in our fiver in 2008, I was on O2 24/7. My concentrator lives in the washer/dryer cabinet in the bathroom with about 6" on either side. When I am using it (at night only now), we keep the closet door open for ventilation. I drilled a hole in the wall for the hose to go through into my bedroom closet and from there to the bed.

    I'm surprised you still have LOX because most companies are phasing it out because of the cuts in Medicare payments. You might be a little careful there especially if your reservoir runs out when you're in an area without LOX.

    I do carry 2 E tanks horizontally in a trunk in the bed of the truck for when we might spend a night away from the RV/concentrator. You can carry 6 E tanks in a carrier for 2-liter soda bottles.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated to keep away spam. It may take a few minutes for your comment to appear.