Tuesday, January 21, 2014

CPAP users don't need to buy an expensive generator


Dear RV Travel: 
I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP breathing device when sleeping.  I am planning a coast-to-coast trip soon and thought that I would need a generator when having to sleep overnight at a Walmart, etc.  So I thought I would need an expensive generator and have to carry a container of gas and worry that someone would steal the generator, etc.  

Then I got the idea that I could use the receptacle in my truck, which has its own inverter -- Wrong! The truck would have to be running all night as the inverter only works for about 13 minutes when the engine is turned off.  (Every winter I remove my deep cycle battery from my fifth wheel and store it inside.)

This past weekend I decided to purchase an inverter from Harbor Freight on sale for about 30 bucks and change. I got the 750-watt minimum capacity and hooked it up to my battery. I then plugged my CPAP into the inverter and let it run -- not eight but 10 hours, as I figured that I may end up going to sleep early and then get an early start the next morning. The results were great! It was still working even after 10 hours. 

I charged the battery with my battery charger after use, which is what I would normally do at our next stop in an RV park so the battery would be ready for the next emergency boondocking. I will simply purchase another deep cycle battery and keep it charged for the CPAP, or if I need it for the RV. The battery, charger and inverter take up less valuable space and weight than a generator and will ultimately cost less to buy and use.  

Happy camping from John F. in York, Pa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated to keep away spam. It may take a few minutes for your comment to appear.